Make cinnamon swirl loaf!
One of the challenges of working and living in Moosonee is the reduced access to fresh fruit and vegetables, like lemons. There is only a single grocery store in Moosonee and if they don’t have lemons, you have to look for alternatives and forgo that craving for a lemon loaf.
The Stuff You Need
- 2 cups All Purpose / Plain flour
- 1 1/2 cups regular sugar
- 1 tsp baking power
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cup buttermilk**
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 tbsp cinnamon powder
** To make homemade buttermilk: take 1 cup or milk and add 1-2 tbsp of lemon juice or vinegar.
The Sweet, Sweet Glaze:
- 1/4 cup icing sugar
- 2 tsp milk
The Stuff You Need To Do
1. Crank that oven to 350 °F and slick up a 9-in loaf pan.
2. Toss the flour, 1 cup sugar, baking powder, salt, buttermilk, egg, vanilla and oil in a bowl and stir just until moistened.
3. In a small bowl, combine cinnamon and remaining sugar.
4. Pour half of the batter into your greased pan; sprinkle with half of the cinnamon-sugar. Dump the rest of the batter and then the rest of the cinnamon-sugar.
5. Now grab a knife and swirl that loaf up!
6. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out dry and not a sticky-gooey mess. Allow to cool for 10 minutes in the pan before removing to wire rack and let cool, try not resist the urge to dig into it now and burn your fingers and tongue in the process.
7. For the glaze, combine icing sugar and enough milk to reach desired consistency, thin or thick, whatever your inner baker desires.
Now break out the milk, tea, coffee whatever your drinking these days. Heck, it’s winter have it with a Baliey’s and hot chocolate!
The Money Shot
Have a SWIRL at the recipe yourself and let me know how it turns out!